Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A New Trail

Our high today was 68 which happened at 8:00 PM; our low was 45.

We went on a new trail today. It is on a part of the V A Poma Ranch which is across the main road. We started at 8140 ft and the top was 8613 ft. The hike took us two hours. We took pictures and no one was in a hurry. The trees were very large & very pretty. I took forty pictures, but do not worry I did not post all of them. We saw a rare Horned Toad. You can click on it and it will be full size, then hit the back button to go back. Glen our foreman had cut the trail and led the walk. Also on the hike was Karen, (Ranch Manger) Dotty, (Audubon Society) and her husband Hal, Randi(our Photographer), Wilma, (my Wife) & me. After the hike we all came back to the Ranch for lunch. It was a nice morning.

Back to the toad, I have never seen one this color. It has a rust color on the back and around the head. All I can think of is it has the color because of the pine needles as they are that color when they fall so that he is camoflaged. We saw a young one and it was a gray color, like the ones I am used to. No I did not color the big one. We saw a gray one on Sally's Overlook also. If you want to see one just come on up here and look.

The last picture is of the Ranch house just before a rain.

No comments: